ScribeUI is a tool meant to help the editing and management of mapfiles, supporting Scribe and Standard mapfile syntax, and basemaps in the near future. I am currently developping this tool as a Google Summer of Code project. In the last few weeks, I worked on the GUI of ScribeUI, trying to make it as good and smooth as possible, and it is now ready to test and try out by the community!
Please keep in mind that this is far for complete, but we felt that it was important to release early, as this allows to gather opinions on what the users want and need. Any feedback is welcome, should it be new feature ideas, general comments or bug reports.
I would love to see many people play with ScribeUI, but I would advise against doing any critical work for now, as the software might be a bit unstable at times.
I listed below a few bugs and unfinished tasks we are currently aware of.
Work in Progress
- The map list (in the Manager) is just a bunch of blank file icons for now. These will become map snapshots.
- The Scribe syntax errors for now are not clear. This is solved in a new version of Scribe which I will integrate in the next release.
- Basemap support is on hold until next release, it has to be tested more.
- For now only one template is available for each map type.
- It is not yet possible to edit workspace or map name, description or password.
- UI error messages need more work to be clear to the user.
- The layout was mostly tested in Firefox. Scrollbars and other oddities appear in Chrome.
- Sometimes the backend start giving out errors 500 on open, save, or pretty much any ajax call to the map.
- Long map names don’t display very well in the map list
- Resizing the window completely breaks the layout.
- Web browsers’ default handling of ctrl-z results in loss of layer groups.
- It is only possible to close the secondary editor (map, variable, scales, etc… ) by selecting the empty option in the select menu.
- The browser font is too small
Download and Links
To get ScribeUI 0.1, you can either clone the repo on github and checkout v0.1 or download an archive.
ScribeUI and its installation instructions are available on github: https://github.com/mapgears/scribeui
The Scribe syntax is described here: http://www.mapgears.com/en/blog/archive/2013-03-12-scribe
Bug reports can be made on the github: https://github.com/mapgears/scribeui/issues
Discussion is encouraged on the mapserver-user mailing list.
Thanks a lot!